2.21.2010

on hikes

Here's the thing about hiking: I like the idea of hiking. I like the feeling of having just hiked. I like... telling people that we went for a hike. Not for bragging purposes - but somehow in the action of telling people about the hike, that I will suddenly become an even healthier, environmentally educated person. I like... thinking about myself hiking. I like hiking clothing. And, I really enjoy hiking when I'm more than halfway done.

But for some reason, getting to the hike destination is hard for me. Something deep within me resists the hike. I don't know why I have this inner turmoil, but Ashley really has her hands full when getting the family out on a hike. It's like she's pulling two kids instead of just one.

That being said - we had a lovely family hike at Will Rogers State Park. We had enough water for a Saharan expedition, snacks, blankets... everything an urban hiker needs.

George is putting packing on the lbs these days... and because we haven't invested in one of those fancy backpack deals (can you recommend a place to find an affordable/nice one?) we stormed the hill with our BOB stroller.

Despite some wrong turns and a disagreement on route choice to "inspiration" point... the hike was a huge success. We'll have to do more of these so I can feel good about talking about them.
: )

George loves piggy backs...

...and leaning up front in his stroller like a Sultan


and biting on metal things...

and Mom of course...


Crawling around in the dirt, chewing on rocks is his joie de vivre


"this one looks good enough to eat!"


West Los Angeles and the Pacific


an impromptu rock lesson from Mom


did we mention his zeal for piggy backs


he can barely contain himself...

I think we'll go hiking again sometime soon

7 comments:

Lew said...

I totally recommend the ergo baby carrier. We use it all the time for hikes (and our son is quite heavy) and it is super comfy for both of us. They run about $90-$100 and completely worth it!!

ergobabycarrier.com

PS. I know Serena and that is how I found you guys :-)

Priscilla said...

George likes hikes. I wish I had been there. Very cute pictures.

Unknown said...

Yea! What a fun hike! I love it! I have heard really good things about the ergo's. We have one from REI that works pretty well. I wish we lived closer so I could lend it to you!

Dawn D. Lion said...

Great pictures! Little guy's getting so big so fast.

Get an Ergo! Absolutely! It will be the best $100 you ever spend - you will use it every day.
I did have a frame backpack with Xine, and it worked well, but its still night and day comfort-wise with the ergo.
I've seen friends drop cash on framed REI backpacks that have weird sun canopies and stuff - and the center of gravity is all wrong. The ergo is designed to actually feel good on your posture.

the youngs said...

I definitely understand the inner turmoil with hiking..I can relate. I have heard great things about the Ergo Baby Carrier--it is a bit pricey, but what isn't these days? We got a Kelty Backpack Kid Carrier second hand for $40 bucks and I highly recommend it. If you can find someone who wont be using theirs anymore--ie Craigslist, get it. Lucy LOVES it.

Great pix, by the way! Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!

David said...

how heavy can these ergo's go? i mean, i want something that i can tote a begrudging 14 year old around in.

j/k.

no but seriously, how heavy. i want something with longevity.

Dawn D. Lion said...

According to the website: "ERGObaby recommends a weight limit of 40 pounds for its carrier; however, the carrier has been tested up to 90 pounds. Our carrier will accommodate you as long as you and your baby are happy using it."
I'd testify that I've seen it accomodate heavy 2 1/2 year old boys, no problem.

That another good thing about them, the same one can be a front pack for an infant (ie your future children.) Sheesh am I overselling? I think they should hire me.