12.14.2008

6000

A while back I wrote about my my quest to ride my bicycle 6,000 miles this year. This past week I hit my goal. The previous post marked my halfway journey - and also featured some questionable photoshop skills.

This time I decided I wanted to celebrate and go all out on a party. So Ashley threw me a celebratory bash at her office - her I am showing off the commemorative mileage marker with some of the gals from work. I wore my favorite polo and relaxed fit Levi 550's for the occasion.

In all seriousness - Ashley has been very supportive and rode with me nearly 1/6 of the miles I've gone this far. Next year I might shoot for 7,000.

That process could get a lot easier - from what I understand. Not the riding, but the calculating. As it stands now, I put my miles into an excel spreadsheet that I've put together. It's a fun tool and I have it counting daily averages, monthly totals, and it was also doing the countdown to six thousand.


My friend Brant told me about this iPhone application that's free and it turns your phone into a cycle-computer. Calculating mileage, routes, distance, speed... unbelievable. The only thing is you have to mount it on your bike. That makes me a little nervous, but I have to admit I'm severely interested in these prospects. Then the application takes all of these factoids and shoots out reports that you can download on your computer. The future - so amazing.

It saddens me to think that my little excel spreadsheet that could may be made redundant by a sexier, sleeker form of technology, but I still might rely on it as a safety net.

Hope all of you had success with your goals this year - any you'd like to give a status report on?

19 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

Sexy, indeed. Why does every celebrity have to call something sexy to sell it these days? Is this the most random comment you've ever gotten?

Congrats on all your miles!

David said...

yes.. it is. actually, i'd say the spam comments i get about wanting to network our blog to a travel group are the most random. so, congratulations, you were beaten out by a robot.

Unknown said...

Congrats! What a feat. And with a few weeks to spare. Baltimore applauds you! One day we'll get there...

David said...

one day you'll get where serena? to los angeles, you guys are moving out here? great news!

ashley said...

That picture creeps me out a lot.

David said...

ashley, that picture is pretty much exactly what i look like. what are you trying to say?

MF said...

I think that she's trying to say that your head is expanding at rapid rates, and she's not talking about pride. Remember how you got your little skin biopsy? Maybe the docs missed something.

clyde said...

Nice job Pulse. You rock and obviously roll too. I use a little wrist watch made by Garmin (model 305) when I run that has a GPS in it and gives me a plethora of information after every workout. I honestly could never go back to not having one.
Anyways your amazing for throwing up those kind of numbers. Next year you can bring you new little "Mini Pulse" on rides too. Do you have a car seat for your bike?

David said...

hey clyde - no, i haven't bought a seat for the bike yet. but don't worry, me and my little buddy are going to be testing out all options. its going to be so much fun.

i'm actually... tentatively planning a blog about bicycling and parenthood. coming soon to a computer near you!

have you bought your little guy running shoes yet? or some of those scalloped, sexy running shorts that show off his chubby thighs?

clyde said...

No but you know it's all coming along with the best baby jogger money can buy!

We can't wait. If he was wrapped under the tree I'd open him early. I'm sure you guys are the same way. We've bought most the stuff and did all the painting and prep work on our little nursery. Now it's just a waiting game. I can't wait to see both these little bambino's.

Liz said...

Hey! I have a Garmin 305, too! And I also can't imagine my life without it.

It also works for cycling. David, you should ask for one from ashley for christmas. They're on sale at Costco right now.

EG said...

Ashley, you were right. The picture is rough.

the youngs said...

Excellent photoshopping! You are the master...oh and congrats on your 6,000 miles!

Unknown said...

what i meant was I will one day bike 6,000 miles in one year. I can dream, right? As far as the LA thing goes, maybe we should just meet in CO in a few years. What do you say??

David said...

meet in CO in a few years = deal!

erika - i've never looked better.

Dawn D. Lion said...

David, did you just google 6000 and put your face on the first pic that came up?

David said...

David, did you just google 6000 and put your face on the first pic that came up?

absolutely.

Disco Mom said...

Way to go, Dave, that is amazing! I lost 30 lbs this year - my goal was 50 but I'm still dang proud.

Ryan Kaltenbach said...

No love for the Bike Cyclometer tips? Hmm.

Garmin's are sweet as well. I got one for Christmas a year or two back and have found it's helped me tons with training.